Female Body Types
What Shape am I
When you’re considering the clothes that are required to suit your profession or for every day purposes, the place to start is to understand your own body shape. The type of clothing you do end up buying will depend on what suits your body shape, including the colors and the materials. Without the correct knowledge, you could be doing yourself a complete disservice.
What you’re aiming to achieve, is to get the right look for your body shape. You will want to take a good look at your figure with the importance of gathering an overall image. This practice takes a fair amount of self-awareness. Really look at yourself in front of a full length mirror and be truthful about your body image and create a clear image of how you actually look. Translate this picture into the shape you are, be happy with your figure and know there are ways to enhance some of those images about yourself that you may not particularly like.
When you’re examining your shape and thinking what will look good, following the latest fashions shouldn’t be a factor in determining your wardrobe. It is more important to purchase what suits you and what you will feel comfortable and confident in. With confidence and comfort in mind, it is about finding that balance and finding the clothes that will achieve that look for you.
I am sure that you have asked yourself the question in the past: What are the different female body types and What shape am I?
Below you will find 5 of the most common body shapes. When you look at your body in the mirror it is important to look at yourself with complete honesty when you ask yourself: “What shape am I?”
Below you’ll find the different female body types and what type of clothes you should rather wear.
APPLE SHAPE – If you have an apple shaped-body, then you will certainly want to show off your amazing qualities. Get ready to flaunt your stuff, get out there and declare your elegance to the world. You should be proud of your full figure and be ready to share your grace and style. If you are ready to show off what you’ve got, you need to dress proportionately. If you are not sure how to dress according to an apple shape please follow the steps below:
If you are an apple shape you will notice that your shoulders and your hips will be about the same width. An apple shape in other words can be described as a full figure and will be fuller in the middle and above the waist. You have a wide torso, broad shoulders and a full chest/bust, top part of your back and you tend to gain weight around your waist and you may have a short upper body. You will find that your chest will be larger than your hips. Your thighs will be the narrowest part of your body. Your arms and legs will be slimmer.
Another aspect when considering your shape is to decide what type of underwear you need to buy if you are an apple shape. This is something that should not be forgotten as underwear needs to be comfortable and most importantly needs to support your bust line. Besides this, it is important to feel great underneath your outfit. A supportive pair of underpants should be considered to support your tummy area and to help hold in your stomach. Shoe choice will depend on what you do during the day.
Clothes to suit this body shape – When you are considering what type of clothes would suit an apple shaped body it is important to remember because you will be fuller in the middle part of your body you will want to draw attention away from that area. It is also important to remember that with an apple shape balance is the key, that is, to make your torso look longer and make your shoulders and waist appear slimmer. Basically any detail you keep, should be below the hip line, above the chest line and the middle/torso should be kept concealed and uncomplicated.
- Find clothes that don’t cling and materials that flow. Most of all, find clothes that feel comfortable.
- Choosing tops that steer away from your tummy and more towards your chest and your face. Different coloured tops opposed to different bottom half will give the appearance of having a longer body.
- Wear tops that have v-necks or square necklines. Anything that will not be too revealing and low.
- Boot cut pants are great for apple shaped figures.
- An A-line skirt will make you look slimmer.
- Jeans that have back pockets can give the appearance of a fuller bottom which will add balance to your shape.
- To create another balanced look, to not focus too much on your slim legs a boot cut leg/wider leg, will take the focus away from your tummy.
- The way to enhance your stomach is wearing skirts with pleats or that have pockets in the front.
- The best way to determine what type of dress will suit your body is to try to look fitting but will find a style that will not draw too much attention to your tummy section.
- To give the illusion that you have a slimmer tummy a jacket with a belt would be an ideal choice.
- Finding a jacket that falls just below the hip area will also help hide your hips so you don’t attract attention to your hips, which will make them look wider.
- Jackets that are drawn in the waist will give a good appearance and make your tummy area smaller.
- Avoid colours that are above your waist line because this will have the appearance of your tummy looking bigger. Also stay away from bold designs or bold checked material above your waist.
- You would be best to stay away from revealing too much bust so low neck lines would not enhance your appearance.
- Avoid wearing skirts that are above knee level.
- It would be best to steer clear of straight skirts or pants that are too tight. This can give the appearance of looking larger on top.
- Gathered skirts also give the look of a fuller tummy. These are looks to want to stay away from.
Underwear that suits – What you wear under your everyday clothes is an important factor in feeling comfortable. Finding the correct fit is also a valid aspect of whether or not you are adding to or subtracting from your figure.
- Bra – Find the correct fit. You don’t need push ups as this will enhance your bust which is not what you want. It is often wise to get measurements as support is important and in considering your back this will be a factor in seeking support also.
- Underpants – As your tummy is a factor in seeking the right style and disguising your tummy. Looking for a tummy tightening, figure hugging style under pant as perfect match.
Shoes that suit – Support and comfort is an important factor in choosing the right shoe. A perfect match for your slim calves and ankles would be high heels preferably, mid or high heels. Platform shoes and calf length boots are a good choice. Sandals with straps and ballet flats are also good choices.
Fabrics – Depending on what style of patterns you like, you are best to stay away from solid colours because of your tummy. Big prints and diagonal lines are good for top wearing and is an excellent camouflage.
As we sum up the apple shape, it is imperative to note you have the ability to source some great buys to enhance your beautiful curves and to make the most of what you have to offer. Be proud of yourself and be happy with who you are. There are some great fashion options available to you and remember it is possible to not possess insurmountable items but to seek out clever pieces that you can mix and match. Make the most of creating a priceless wardrobe. Our aim is to help and advise you of what options are available to you and the variety of looks that will enhance your personal traits.
RECTANGLE/LEAN SHAPE – If you have a rectangular/lean shaped-body, then you certainly will want to present your athletic and sporty physique with pride. It is always good to remember you don’t have to follow the current fashion trends. Classic long standing pieces are a great part to any wardrobe and will always stand the test of time. Understanding the benefits of having this body shape will tell you that as well as being able to wear some boyish type clothes you can also dress very soft and feminine. If you are not sure how to dress according to a rectangle/lean shape please follow the steps below:
If you are a rectangular/lean shape you will notice you have quite a small bust. Your waist won’t have a lot of definition and will appear quite small. Your hips will be quite narrow and your bottom will be relatively flat. Lastly your shoulders will be quite narrow. Due to your body shape being quite straight, your plan will be to create the illusion of creating some groovy curves and accentuating areas such as your bust, waist and hip areas.
With all these aspects in mind, you most definitely have the ability to pull off great style and create some sassy curves. Be brave and give it a go. Your figure type has the ability to look spectacular in the right underwear. There are also many styles of bras and under pants that can enhance your shape, while visually boosting your bust and hips.
Clothes to suit this body shape – When you are considering what type of clothes would suit a rectangular/lean shaped body, it is important to delve into knowing how to create some curves and develop structure through design and style. It’s important to remember that with a rectangular/lean shape, creating curves is the key. The beauty of having this type shape is about choosing unlimited accessory pieces that can flatter and enhance your clothing choices.
- Drawing attention to your waist can add volume by adding a belt to a shirt or jacket.
- Any type of jeans will suit you because of your body shape. Low rise jeans that add weight to your hips. Important to add a belt.
- Lovely flowing short skirts look very feminine.
- Layered and pencil skirts also look fabulous.
- Tailored pants look particularly fabulous on slim women. The fit suits this body type.
- To create a wider look for your hips look out for jackets that flair out at the hips.
- Belts as accessories add style to the waist especially with jackets.
- Halter neck styles along with tops without sleeves can really enhance your chest.
- Straight dresses should be avoided
- Avoid wearing jeans that sit on your hips this will emphasise how small your wait is.
- Stay away from straight style jackets with no shape.
- Avoid buying strapless tops that can make you appear to have no bust.
Underwear that suits – What you wear under your everyday clothes is an important factor in feeling comfortable. Finding the correct fit is also a valid aspect of whether or not you are adding to or subtracting from your figure.
- Bra – Find the correct fit. As your body shape is fairly straight up and down you’ll be looking for a push up bra or a type of Wonderbra. It is a good way to add some volume to your bust.
- Underpants – There are underpants with patterns and detail to emphasize your bottom and hips.
- Shoes that suit – Due to your body shape you will want to steer away from high heeled shoes. They will make you appear to be slimmer than you are. Flat sandals, ankle and knee length boots and ankle strap sandals with a slight heel.
- Fabrics – because you are slim you would be best to stay away from vertical lines. This would make you appear to be leaner than you are. Horizontal lines, large prints and bright colours would suit.
As we sum up the rectangular/lean shape, your body type can look amazing in many styles. You don’t have to follow trends or the current fashions to look chic. There are many fantastic clothes that can be obtained from many different sources, which could comfortably fill your wardrobe. With that in mind, your choices could be mixed and matched and shouldn’t cost you an arm and a leg. Be proud of your shape and know you are beautiful. If you shop wisely you will discover some amazing finds in the most unlikely places. We want to help you accomplish a style that benefits your personal characteristics so you can feel your best at all times.
HOURGLASS SHAPE – The hourglass shaped body, is regarded as the most perfect and feminine of all the figures. You would define the hourglass figure as being beautifully curvy and shapely. Characterized as the perfect woman’s figure it should be acknowledged that every body shape is beautiful and you can create style and class with a little education. If you have an hourglass shape, with emphasizing your already alluringly appealing curves, your waistline will be the center of attention. If you are not sure how to dress according to an hour glass shape please follow the steps below:
If you are an hourglass shape you will notice you have quite a small waist. With your waist in mind, your bust and your hips will be of proportion and generally the same size. You’re fortunate to have an amazingly knock out figure and some very seductive curves. Knowing how to dress for an hour glass figure is the key to embracing your individuality and boosting your style.
With all these aspects in mind, you have an incredibly well shaped and balanced figure and knowing how to complement your waist line is the key to achieving a fabulously elegant look.
Clothes to suit this body shape – When you are considering what type of clothes would suit an hour glass figure, you really want to seek out styles that will bring attention to your waist line. Remember when you are searching for those timeless pieces, spending a fortune won’t always get you a lot for your money. The objective is to find a few pieces that you can mix and match and get the most value out of. This can be achieved by not always looking in the most obvious of places where you might actually snap up some real little treasures.
- Looking for pieces that will look tight around your waist, giving you a fitted look. You should search for buttoned shirt/blouses and t-shirts that give you a fitted appearance. You want to accentuate your curves so looking for stretchy materials will work wonders.
- Jackets that have belts around the waist or any type of jacket or coat that you can draw in around your waist. Stick with short, shaped jackets for the reason being you have amazing hips. You will want to highlight your curves in a very elegant way.
- Dresses or tops that wrap around your waist are styles to look for. This draws attention to your waist and balances out your figure.
- Low slimming necklines.
- Simple tailored lines suit your shape.
- As you would do with a jacket, find tops that stop at the top of your hips. This will accentuate your hips and lengthen your figure.
- A-line and slim hugging skirts look fantastic on an hour glass figure. You have the curves to pull this off.
- Finding the right underwear such as a supportive bra to keep your figure balanced.
- Simple style Bootleg or straight leg jeans.
- Wide waistbands can be extremely flattering and should be joined with a well balance top.
- Tops or dresses with a wrap-around style, may not suit a short waist figure or a small figure.
- Avoid wide square necklines. They tend to give you an unbalanced look and give more attention to the top part of your body.
- Too many layers such as ruffles and frills on the top can unbalance your figure.
- Pants or jeans with too much detail such as pockets. This can accentuate your hips too much.
- Avoid narrow leg jeans.
- Bra – A well fitted bra is all that is required to achieve your best look.
- Underpants – Thongs look great on women with this body shape. They’re not always comfortable but they are evidently suitable for tighter fitting dresses.
- Shoes that suit – High heeled shoes look great with your curves. Not necessarily the very pointed toe but a shoe with a slight curve.
- Fabrics – As your shape wear classic styles well, you be looking at soft stretchy fabrics for the bottom half of your body. Tailored plain pants and jackets with preferably two buttons will help elongate your figure. Soft knits that have a tailored look and fit well to define your waist.
As we sum up the hour glass shape, you have amazing curves that you should really show off. Never hide those gorgeous curves under baggy clothes. You have an amazing figure so wearing the right style to cater to your figure will applaud and pay unending dividends to your curves. It’s not important to follow the trends because they do come and go. It is of course a personal choice but it’s searching for those dynamic pieces that will never age. To define that elegant look the search for those mix and match pieces for your wardrobe won’t be hard to find. There is so much choice out there in the fashion market today, that can be obtained from many different sources, which could comfortably fill your wardrobe. We want to help you accomplish a style that benefits your personal characteristics so you can feel your best at all times.
PEAR SHAPE – The pear shaped body, is also regarded as one of the most common shaped figures for women. You would define the pear shaped figure as carrying more weight around the hip, bottom and thigh areas. The top part of your body will be the area to focus on so the hip area and top half of your shoulders is in balance. You will have the opportunity to gather some beautiful shirts and jackets to enhance your top half, which will add to your own individual style. If you are not sure how to dress according to the pear shaped figure please follow the steps below:
If you are a pear shaped figure you will notice you have a small waist and a smaller bust. You will be bigger around the hip, bottom and thigh areas. With your waist in mind, the intention is to balance your hip and shoulders so your body will be in balance. By achieving this balance you will be able to enhance your curves to achieve a very classic look.
With all these aspects in mind, you have the ability to also achieve the hour glass shape. With some clever and ingenious know how, you can really achieve a very alluring and glamorous presence with your personal style.
Clothes to suit this body shape – When you are considering what type of clothes would suit a pear shape figure, you really want to seek out styles that will bring the attention to the top half of your body. You’ll also want to give the appearance of longer legs. Don’t ever think that a glamorous look is not achievable. All body shapes have their own individualism. It is certainly achievable and there are many options available to you to source some amazing styles that can really increase your uniqueness.
- Looking for pieces that will be a bit longer in length so as to cover your hip and thigh areas.
- Loose little fitted tops but not too baggy.
- Shirts with collars, pockets, patterns, stripes and also belts are great choices to get a balance. Lots of design aspects will give you a great look.
- As noted above, as well as tops, jackets will look fabulous just below the hip line.
- V necked tops enhance your upper body.
- A line dresses.
- Boot/wide legged jeans.
- Steer clear of very loose and baggy tops.
- Avoid jackets and tops that end at the hip line.
- Steer clear of straight skirts, short skirts, pants that place a lot of emphasis on the front and around the bottom and hip areas, such as pleats, pin stripes.
- Skinny legged jeans, with pockets on the bottom.
- Bra – As it is with the pear shaped figure you will want to find a bra that enhances your bust but providing support at the same time. Push up bras and padded bras will certainly work. Your bust will want a bit of a lift which will draw the attention to your upper body and refocus from your bottom half.
- Underpants – When you enhance your bust area your plan would be to look for some shape wear that will smooth your bottom and around your hip and top of your thigh area. You don’t want to wear the old style underpants that were big and high up around the waist. This can often make you appear bigger than you are.
- Shoes that suit – Platform shoes, stilettos, low wedges, high heeled sandals and no strap with some diamantes will look appealing.
- Fabrics – The best type of fabrics for pear shaped figures are soft, flowing fabrics such as chiffon and crepes. The fabrics you don’t want to wear are heavy fabrics as they will make you appear heavy. Monochromatic colour schemes also look appealing.
As we sum up the pear shaped body, there are some wonderful statements that you can wear to hide the parts you don’t necessarily like. As we mentioned earlier you could also have an hour glass figure if you work on finding out the right combinations. Let’s face it, I am sure there are many of us that has a flaw or two that we don’t like. It is important to remember there are always so many ways to highlight the parts you may not like. There is always someone to ask for advice that can help you to work on the look that will suit you. You can have many pieces in your wardrobe of the right choice, when you plan on mixing and matching, so you also don’t have to empty out your back pocket.
INVERTED PEAR SHAPE – The inverted pear shaped body, is commonly referred to as the pear shape but upside down. Instead of carrying weight around your hip, bottom and thigh areas, you will have broad shoulders and back, with possibly a larger bust. You are likely to have quite an athletic build and possibly a flatter bottom. If you are not sure how to dress according to the pear shaped figure please follow the steps below:
If you are an inverted pear shaped figure you will notice you have a small waist but a wider top half. The emphasis to cultivate a great look is to enhance your bottom and hips. So with this in mind this is what you will want to make as your focus. Some women may feel like they’re in a combat zone and find it difficult to find the right balance. It can be frustrating at times. BUT – who doesn’t love a good pair of legs and yes you have it right – you have them! This is a dream for many women, so show them off. There are many dresses and gorgeous skirts that you can wear that will really give you an amazing look.
It is without debate that with any body shape it has its challenges but with time and knowledge you can achieve the look you really want, when you know what you have to add or take the focus off. With a little bit of work you definitely can retrieve that balance.
Clothes to suit this body shape – As a woman with the inverted pear shape you’ll be seeking to find a balance between top and bottom. In order to find this balance you’ll be looking at finding the right style tops and bottoms to blend, that will help you to look slimmer and create a small flare from the hips. Instead of steering away from taking the focus off your hip area you will aim to add focus to your hip area with pockets and pleats.
- Your tops should have quite a narrow neck line such as a v-neck or a scooped neckline which gives the appearance that your upper body is narrower.
- Shirts and tops that have a drawn in waist and a slight curve out of the hip will give you a balanced appearance.
- Jackets should also have a low neckline, such as the v-neck will also give you a balanced look.
- Skirts should flare or be full but A-line skirts are also applicable.
- Boot leg, cargo pants and wide legs pants are a good look to achieve.
- Skirts looks best if they are just above the knee or below. You still want to show off your leg but not having it too long or too short to give an elegant look.
- You don’t want to choose tops that will accentuate your upper body such as broad necked tops.
- Jackets with a large collar.
- Oversized baggy tops.
- Stay away from stiff fabrics and high necklines such as turtle necks.
- Best to stay away from bold and large patterns on the top of your body. You don’t want to attract too much attention into making you look top heavy.
- Bra – A bra should be supportive but it should also have medium style straps. You don’t want them to thin as you need the support.
- Underpants – With a pattern or frills. Look for different styles. More importantly the aim should be to feel comfortable.
- Shoes that suit – You will want to buy shoes that are going to be eye catching. Brightly coloured shoes, sandals that are covered in diamantes or beads with straps. This will draw attention to your lovely long legs.
- Fabrics – You’ll be looking for soft fabrics for the top of your body. Soft woven knits are an absolute gem to wear over your broad shoulders. Heavy knitwear is to be avoided. Dark colours should be worn on the top and light colours on the bottom. Bold patterns can also be added to the bottom.
As we sum up the inverted pear shaped body, there are some wonderful approaches to wearing those key pieces, by hiding the parts you don’t necessarily like. As we mentioned earlier you could also have an hour glass figure if you work on finding the right combinations. Let’s face it, I am sure there are many of us that has a flaw or two that we don’t like. It is important to remember there are always so many ways to highlight the parts you may not like. There is always someone to ask for advice that can help you to work on the look that will suit you. You can have many pieces in your wardrobe of the right choice if you plan on mixing and matching, so you don’t have to empty out your back pocket.
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Looking Great Ladies